The log home we are building is the Jocassee V Floor Plan from Blue Ridge Log Cabins and it is almost perfect for our family. Our lot is at 3500 ft in the Blue Ridge Mountains with views of Mt. Mitchell and Grandfather Mountain, and the open floor plan and large wall of windows takes advantage of this. The plan is a 2 story home with an open loft, which we love, but we need a bit more space so we have opted to have the home set on top of a full walkout basement for a total of 4191 SF. Now I really hate the word basement, because technically it is really our first floor. This will be custom designed precast concrete walls which are 10 foot high and pre insulated, purchased from Superior Walls. We will finish the first floor with interior tongue and groove and on the exterior we will rock the front of the center section and put log siding on the remaining 3 sides which will be stained the same as the upper full log levels. In this first gallery you will see the original floor plan supplied by Blue Ridge Log Cabins before we made any modifications.
So here is a rundown of a few of the things we are customizing:
- We have taken out the bedroom in the back of the main floor and made that our Master Bath.
- We have added a Guest Bath to the main floor.
- We took out the desk and put in a nice big Kitchen Pantry which will hold a small chest freezer.
- Made some changes to the Utility/Mud Room – added a sink and moved the location of W/D.
- Moved around and resized some windows throughout.
- Changed the cabinet configuration in the Kitchen – had them mix a custom stain.
- Took out the small dividing wall next to the Kitchen Island and designed a new Kitchen Island.
- Changed the square footage by increasing the size of the Kitchen and Master Bedroom and decreased the Living Room slightly.
- Moved the Kitchen and Master Bedrooms forward a few feet … just to name a few.
Yea, the guys in the design department must have gotten tired of our many rounds of changes, but they were very patient with me. They also supplied us with the floor plan for the first floor that we were able to give to Superior Walls.
The gallery below is our modified floor plan. (Download a copy here.)
The design team also supplied us with these Elevation Renderings of the exterior of the house.
This is a gallery of the Jocassee V Model Home. It will give you a good idea what ours will be like. I’ll be posting some of our own interior design ideas along the way.